News

Copyright © 2008-2019 Paula DiTallo

Tag Cloud

My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

Unless you configure the drive from a few levels under Administrative Tools, the drive will appear to randomly select a letter.  For example, one day when you plug your USB drive in, you'll see E: and on another occassion you'll see F:.  It's not really random--its actually tied to which USB ports are available and the internal definitions of the ports by sequence. This can be troublesome should you have shortcuts on your desktop that point to programs on your USB drive. The install packages would have dubbed the starting and target destinations with whatever letter the USB drive had at the time--so when the drive letter changes, the shortcuts don't work!

To solve this heartburn, do the following:

1. Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management
  2. Highlight the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
  3. Click on Change.
  4. Type a higher letter (e.g. S,T,U,V..) so that if you were to get a new internal disk drive, the assignment won't conflict.

Once the save is changed, go through your desktop and your program shortcuts by right clicking on the shortcut's icon. Select Property. Reassign any icons, targets and starting destinations with the drive letter you assigned.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:18 AM

Feedback

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

You might want to check out USBDLM - a great tool that allows you to ensure your USB drive always gets the same drive letter - I've been using it for a long time now and I LOVE IT :)
3/13/2008 11:24 PM | Travis Laborde

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

I followed the link from The Given (Angela Parenza). Thanks so much for your help and advice. 4/16/2008 9:07 AM | GN Duncan

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

Getting different letters for my USB drive was quite frustrating because my keyboard macros got mixed up. Your solution is simple and ingenious, thanks a lot. 1/6/2011 6:41 AM | easy saver complaints

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

Great informative blog post. Thanks a lot! 3/8/2011 6:04 AM | Chat Line

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

I suggest this site to my friends so it could be useful & informative for them also. Great effort.
4/22/2011 3:00 AM | sending flowers to russia

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

This is very useful tip! 6/1/2011 5:44 AM | college term papers

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

thanks for sharing. 7/9/2011 5:41 AM | pandora charms

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.
8/27/2011 4:17 AM | Converse Chuck Taylor All Star

# re: My USB keeps changing drive letters, why?

Glad to read your post :). It is very informative! 5/26/2013 8:09 AM | Brad Pitt